Saturday, December 15, 2007

Cool Running

After two Saturdays on the treadmill, I took my run outside today. The temperature at home was in the teens when I drove into town, in search of a plowed or shoveled path. I opted for Silver Lake, which is almost circled by the bike path, 1.8 miles around. The only snow-packed and slick sections were on the sidewalk on the north side of some houses, which forced me to walk carefully instead of run. With a couple of layers of wicking fabrics (including my new hat and long underwear), I stayed warm and felt dry, an improvement over the previous cold run. After a couple loops of the lake, I headed north along the river to check out the conditions there. This part of the bike path was much clearer, and looks like a better choice for next weekend. Maybe I'll even remember to take my camera, because it's really pretty along the river...the snow and ice, steam rising from the water, geese swimming around. Overall, a good run. It was sunny, no wind, and about 20 degrees in town, which we Minnesotans consider a nice day in December.

No comments: