Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Yep, now it's really cold
A brisk day today. Blizzard warnings, wind chill warnings - the weather forecasters got it right today. Start with rain yesterday to get the melting started; lower the temperature from 40 to -10; add a few inches of new snow; stir it all up with 30-40 mile an hour winds. The result is wind chills of -30 to -40, and a total white-out as I drove home from work early this afternoon. Once I topped the hill about a mile from our turn-off, about all I could see was the stripe in the road a few feet in front of the hood. It's quite dis-orienting to drive in a white-out...worse than thick fog, because the blowing snow is moving so fast. I just had to hope that there were no cars coming when I made the left turn onto our county road. Luckily, Mike had plowed the driveway just before I got home, so I didn't have to deal with drifts there, but the ice formed by yesterday's melting was quite slippery, and I was grateful for the bits of gravel poking through. Inside the house tonight, you can hear the wind gusts pounding against the windows. It's a nasty night to be out, and a good night to have a working furnace..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment