Saturday, March 29, 2008

A FIne Day for Running

Today was the first 5K race of the season, and luckily it was sunny and above freezing. Last year, this was my first race ever. This year, I finished 5 minutes faster than last year. I was quite happy, and had a full load of running-induced endorphins keeping me alert for most of the rest of the day. I'll push myself to go a lot faster when I'm in a race, and my heart rate monitor confirmed that I was working much harder than usual. I like using the objective measurement of my finish time to see how much I've improved my fitness over time. And I never would have predicted the amount of improvement I've seen.

No medals today, no prizes, just bagels at the finish, and a sense of well-being from accomplishing something that's not easy for me.

No comments: