This weekend I ran the Hayfield Fire Department 8K race (5 miles). This was my first attempt at a race distance longer than 5K (3.1 miles), although I've run 5+ miles regularly for several months as my weekly "long, slow" run. The weather was great for running (upper 50's to low 60's) and the crowd was small. I've mentioned before that I'm slow, and this time, I was the slowest. The golf cart which follows the runners along the race course was right behind me the whole time. I finished in one hour and one minute, the last of probably less than 50 runners. It didn't really bother me to be last - I've been second to last before. But I like running in races occasionally because I will push myself to go faster than if I was just out running by myself. Even if I'm essentially running by myself in the race at the very back of the pack. Plus I get a t-shirt.
The saying is: "Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start".
And my legs are still sore, so I'm giving myself an A for effort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your second last sentence says it all. You still are CONGRATULATED by me!
I remember a race at Rockwood Summit High School where a girl still had one lap to go when the others finished. That girl received a standing ovation when she crossed the finish line. I was proud of her and proud of you.
Post a Comment