Thursday, December 11, 2008

The dreaded mandatory all-hands meeting

The invite for yesterday's all hands meeting at work included the word "mandatory" and really got the rumor mill going. In today's economy, there are plenty of reasons to be nervous, but luckily, the news wasn't that bad. Our project has been cancelled, or at least delayed indefinitely. A substantial part of the team has been reassigned to other groups that have too much work, and the rest of us are going to rework our existing design into a test platform for those other groups.

For me personally, I have a new manager and will be working with him to define my new job description. On the plus side, there were no layoffs, I'm still employed, and I'll be learning some new stuff. On the minus side, I won't be doing the kinds of things I thought I would be doing when I quit my old job, and probably won't be doing any traveling. But I'll still be working with a good team, so I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Anybody want a box of outdated business cards?

No comments: