Sunday, December 9, 2007

Winter's (autumn's?) snow

Would you believe we have ten inches of snow on the ground already? And it's still not officially winter yet. Temperatures have been below freezing for most of December, and the snowplow is on the truck. I don't think there's any doubt we'll have a white Christmas this year. But we're getting back into the winter groove with coats and hats and boots and shovels; we remember how to drive on snow and how to plow the driveway. At first I always resent winter a little bit, but then I get used to it, and it's not so bad. We're even talking about going skiing sometime (locally).

I bought some new long-johns and am determined to try running in colder weather. I only run outside on weekends, since our normal exercise time is before work (meaning dark this time of year) - I use the gym treadmill during the week. I've been running in 30 degrees, and didn't get cold; in 20 degrees, my legs stayed cold, thus the new long-johns. But the past couple weekends have been a lot colder than 20 degrees, plus the city doesn't plow the bike path I normally run on, so not only am I waiting for a bit of relief weather-wise, I'm also looking for a new, mostly cleared of snow, route.

New carpet samples are laying on the basement floor. We'll look at these for week and see if we can agree that we like any of them. It's fairly easy to find something one of us likes; much more difficult to find something we both like.

No comments: