Saturday, March 26, 2011

A new running season

The snow hasn't quite melted yet (I cropped out the big pile to the left, but you can see some more piles behind the cars), but the last Saturday in March is my traditional first 5K race of the year. We've had so much snow this winter that I wasn't able to safely run outside again until last weekend. But after a winter on the treadmill and one run down the county road, I was apparently ready to race.

Surprisingly, there were three different local 5Ks to choose from today, so I chose the smallest, lowest key one. Only about 55 people (runners + walkers), no preregistration - just show up at the grocery store with a donation for the food shelf plus $10. Dogs, kids, strollers, and headphones all welcome. It was cool (mid-20's) but sunny, and the path was free of snow and ice.

The course was flat and seemed short, but if it really was 5K, it was an awesome race for me - more than 5 minutes faster than last fall. I guess I've finally recovered from my plantar fasciitis, and am back to where I was before the injury.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Congratulations! I had also started a training program again until I got the same thing - Rich had me stay off the foot for 2 weeks and that definitely did help. Hoping to start back walking again tomorrow.